The Church of Laying of Our Lady's Holy Robe was built in 1484-1485 by Pskov makers on the place of a more ancient church. The architectural outlook of the small elegant church has no Pskov features. Brick ornamental tiers on the drum are the only point reminding us Pskov architecture. The church is built in Moscow architectural traditions. It is a small one-domed and four-pillared church with three apses, which stands on high ground floor (podklet). The small one-domed brick church stands on highpodklet. The main cube space's top is crowned with zakomaras (arched gables - semicircular termination of walls in Russian churches).
The church's three sides were adorned with a frieze of terracotta balusters and ornamental plates. The terracotta ornamental frieze goes round the church's volume and the higher part of the altar apses.
In the second half of the XVIth century, the northern and western white-stone church's portals were replaced by brick ones, just like the portals of the Pokrovskiy Cathedral (St. Basil the Blessed).
The talented architectural design and makers' craftsmanship made possible to incorporate a delicate small church into the architectural ensemble of the Cathedral Square. The contrast silhouettes of the Church of Laying of Our Lady's Holy Robe and the Assumption Cathedral compose a harmonious complex which serve as a real decoration of the whole Cathedral Square.